Friday, July 16, 2010

Your Friday Awesome: Smashing the Patriarchy in 140 Characters


I can't believe this Friday Awesome has anything to do with Twitter. When it launched I thought it was the dumbest thing ever invented, now I have two accounts that I update daily. No, I won't tell you what I had for lunch (unless it is @KungFuTacos and I saw awesome graffiti on the way), but it has certainly helped cut down on barraging my Facebook friends with links about things that I think are awesome or horrific and 140 characters is much quicker than a blog post.

While Twitter has revolutionized ad campaigns that capitalize on parodying anxious masculinity, and  launched the careers of people who may or may not be capitalizing on family members, one account manages to prove that feminists not only have a sense of humor, but are incredibly witty and media savvy.

@feministhulk uses the most stereotypically masculine of superheros (in tiny purple shorts) to create tweets that make anyone that has ever taken an introduction to Womens' and Gender Studies giggle:


Some have wondered if a male, violence prone superhero is the best person to use for project like this (hellllllloooo, allies...) but Feminist Hulk has an answer for them:


The identity of the person behind @feministhulk is still unknown, but whoever it is lives in San Francisco so I would love to smash the patriarchy and eat cake and ice cream in tiny purple shorts with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

be nice.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin